Sunday 13 March 2011

Rocco's Weird Stuff: The One Of The First Ever Bootleg Records.

So I was looking through Rocco's record collection for something to listen to. As I flicked I came across a white sleeve with a stamped title on it, that read GWW Talkin' Bear Mountain Massacre Picnic Blues. Rocco had mentioned this record to me before and as a Bob Dylan fanatic I knew what this was, a legendary early bootleg. In fact one of a run of the first bootleg records ever made. "Dub" Taylor and Ken Douglas were quality-conscious perfectionists who pressed all their albums on coloured, virgin vinyl. They infamously released a series of Bob Dylan bootlegs in the 1960's called Great White Wonder, these bootlegs were made up of songs which Dylan had recorded at his label but had never released. The songs on these records are only surfacing now on Columbia's Bootleg Series. The fifth of this GWW series was the one I found. This one is printed on green virgin vinyl with the simple stamp in ink on the cover. It's got some great songs on it and as a piece of musical history it's a pretty special thing. I don't know how much it's worth, I went trawling and the nearest I found was a later release worth 200 US dollars. Here are some pictures.


No comments:

Post a Comment