Saturday 15 October 2011

Something to do today: Whelan's record fair


I went to the first Whelan's record fair way back in August. It was raining, freezing, it was supposed to be summer. The records I was flicking through didn't interest me and I was ready to condemn the venture and go off in search of warming drinks. Then I found a gem of a record, not one I had ever heard of but one I knew I had to have. Suddenly everything was better and braving the wind and rain and the walk from the dart station seemed worth it. That's the beauty of a good record find, its like discovering buried treasure. That day the record sellers said they'd be back if it was a success. It's good to know that it was. In fact, it went so well that they moved it downstairs to the main venue. A city can never have too many decent second hand record sellers, or second hand book sellers (book fair anyone?). Hone your flicking skills as there are stacks of vinyl to get through, but it's worth it for that one unbeatable album.

The record I found, for €4


Whelan's record fair, Whelan's, Wexford St - today - 1pm - 5pm

First published here

No comments:

Post a Comment