Sunday 23 January 2011

Afternoon tea at Lost Society

Before I say anything else I should probably say that I am in love with having afternoon tea. It's a delicious luxury and a reminder of a more genteel age. I'd be very rotund by this stage had I been born a Victorian lady.

I've passed by Lost Society several times lately while shortcutting through the Powerscourt Townhouse. It's a new sort of a bar/lounge affair where Spy used to be, curiously decorated in a Georgian-futuristic style, and a little bit mysterious. It was mostly empty the day we visited, a photoshoot was going on in one room, and a meeting happening in another corner.

Futuristic Georgian at the Lost Society


We ordered afternoon tea for two which was as delicious as it was well presented - bitesize portions of very lovely things like prawn on avocado, miniature blinis with smoked salmon, cream cheese and caviar, and little scones piled with jam and cream. It was a perfect amount of food, and for two it was only €12, which makes a welcome departure from the €25 or so you'd pay for one in any of the hotels around town.

As a bar, I get the impression Lost Society is not the sort of place I'd love, but for afternoon tea it was just the very thing.


Afternoon tea served from 12 - 6
Lost Society - Powerscourt Townhouse, South William Street, Dublin 2 - http://www.lostsociety.ie/

No comments:

Post a Comment