Sunday 3 April 2011

The Old Fashioned: Don Draper's Drink

So I was just watching Mad Men, I have only recently started watching it and am currently working my way through the boxed set. Yes, a bit late I hear you say, well this is certainly a case of better late then never. Anyway I have been noticing Don Drapers penchant for the Old fashioned. It looks delicious so I have gone and investigated how one goes about making one and found out some interesting things which I will now share with you.

Old Fashioned-The-Facts. 
  • The name Old Fashioned is a reference to the age of the drink it is possibly the first drink to be called a cocktail.
  • It is traditionally served in a short and round tumbler-like glass. This glass is called an Old Fashioned Glass after the drink.
  • The first use of the name old fashioned for this drink was in the Pendennis gentlemen's club in Louisville Kentucky where the drink was invented by the head bartender. It was made popular by a club member and bourbon distiller, Colonel James E. Pepper, who brought it to the Waldorf in New York.
Ingredients.
  • 4.0cl Bourbon, Scotch or Rye Whiskey.
  • 1 sugar cube.
  • 2 dashes Angostura Bitters.
  • 1 splash soda water.
Preparation.
  • Place sugar cube in old fashioned glass and saturate with bitter.
  • Add a dash of soda water. 
  • Muddle until dissolved.
  • Fill the glass with ice cubes and add whiskey.
  • Garnish with orange slice, lemon twist and two maraschino cherries.
Hopefully it will look like this. Enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. we have a book of old hollywood cocktails, that is so in there

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam & Alex: FYI, most Old Fashion drinkers prefer Rye Whiskey as the alcohol of choice. My dad drank Old Fashions and if he were alive, he’d be almost 100 years old. Needless-to-say, I was a surprise! I’m at LAX: Boingo.

    Rich

    ReplyDelete